Monday, October 20, 2014

Sexuality, Marriage, and Islam

Disclaimer: This is a personal interpretation and deduction from what I've learnt from living. I wanna say religion instead of Islam but I can't because I have no real reference in other religion. And by 'Islam', it actually really meant 'Islam in my perspective' and if there's any inaccuracy in things I said about it, feel free to say so, but please be mindful it's not intended as it's merely a fruit of deduction from whatever I learnt so far (which is, to tell the truth, not a lot).



I am cutting the case really short: I don't believe that it is wrong to love anyone or anything. It's a very natural thing to have a feeling of affection to anyone (or anything really). I always believe that it has never wrong to have feelings, however nasty they are, as long as they are not actualized in actions (x).

And with that saying, I think it's perfectly fine for people from the same sex to like each other.

I also don't believe that it's forbidden by my religion. Which is Islam.


Before getting to how the heck I come to that conclusion, there are a few things that have to be explained first.

That is, Sex and Marriage in Islam.

Sex, like every other aspect of life, is regulated in Islam. Sex, as I understand, is only permitted in two conditions:
1. It is reproductive sex
2. It is done by people who are married

It has to be reproductive sex, as non-reproductive sex is banned and seen as perverted. From what I get, the purpose of sex in Islam is strictly reproducing. Non-reproductive sex is an act of sin. Even when it is done by man and woman. But it has second condition: it has to be done by people who are married, so people who did reproductive sex but aren't married are also sinful.

But marriage itself, seen from my very simplistic point of view, is an institution that are legitimated by Islam to (1) track bloodlines and preserving species, and (2) socialize and perpetuate Islamic traditions and values. (But really, it's not just 'marriage' and 'Islamic norms and values', people use the unity of people through any institution for any norms and values).

I guess there are other purposes as well but I see these two as the most fundamental. Why? Because reason (1) is the reason why people who can marry are only people that can engage in reproductive sex, which is man and woman. To put it simply, if they can't reproduce, then the purpose of marriage is DEFEATED. Why such strong word? Because in Islam, you really CAN (and to some extent, encourage to?) have another marriage if you can't have children from the one you previously have.

Without children, you can't make little people who are supposed to be internalized with the previous value you have (in this case, Islam) which is actually the reason (2). I am saying so because preserving and spreading Truth in Islam is compulsory for muslims, and the easiest thing to do that is to build a family. How? Through marriage.

So that's how I deduce the purpose of marriage in Islam into two.

Which is kind of what leads me to think that the problem in Sodom and Gomorrah is probably not because men are loving men and women are loving women: but because they're engaged in non-reproductive sex.

As I said, non-reproductive sex is banned in Islam. And there's no way for two people from the same sex to have a reproductive sex, that's why sexual engagement between them is prohibited. (And that's why they can't get married, because they can't fulfill the purpose of marriage.)

But it doesn't mean that loving people or anything other than people from different sex are banned. We are encourage to love and spread love. There are even phrases like "I love you because of God" exactly because we can love anyone or anything based on a very basic thing like principle-differences be damned, as long as we have something important in the core of ourselves that we share together. Islam encourage its believers to be kind and full of love; the Prophet himself is depicted in a very loving, affectionate, and kind figure. And he doesn't really do that strictly to woman. Or muslims. He did so to every living being on earth that he encounters.

So no.

Feelings of affection towards anyone is not wrong. Or prohibited. (It shouldn't even be seen as one.)

What is prohibited (or "wrong" in its sense), I believe, is unregulated sex.

Which we have to admit, implies that homosexual people who are romantically involved cannot ever have sex (according to Islam). But that is totally doesn't mean that they can't love each other anyway.

(And it also implies that, the "act of sin" that is mentioned ever so often is not exclusively done by homosexuals or the like.)





And that's how I come to that.

(I'm very open to discussion.)



note: I prepared the similar notion for speech in class back when I was in 10th grade, arguing that not just that it's not forbidden in religion and not a mental illness, bullying and discrimination againts it shouldn't be happening. But I was thrown for a fact that apparently (despite what I was explaining) homosexuality is rejected in every religion. I guess it was my fault because my initial purpose was to argue not to bully LGBTIQ, so I didn't explain the RELIGION part very thoroughly (though I was pretty sure I'm convincing enough in "mental illness" department)-and she doesn't really care about my point (anti-bullying) but more to the fact that I accept homosexuality even though I'm a person with religion. I learnt my lesson, so here it is: an argument why me accepting homosexuality isn't betraying the fact that I'm a believer.


(x) This is also supported by the fact that in Islam, bad intentions are not sinful until it's done, albeit good intentions are already counted as good deeds, so when it's actually done you kinda get two times the rewards (if you don't then you already get a reward from your intentions alone).

6 comments:

Nadilla Soenardhi said...

Hi Ran,

Aku suka bgt post ini. Really shows 21st century/modern Islam and how we interpret the holy Quran with the current situations of Western world.

Tapi... (kayaknya malah jadi curhat) entah kenapa aku kayaknya nggak ingin punya anak. I mean... I really want to be happily married to someone that romantically involved with me (yeah... you can tell by my blog posts, can't you) tapi aku kayak takut aja gitu ngeliat dunia yang semakin serem kayak gini, I really don't want to bring up kid in this scary world where all I can see is only destruction and death, but can we really have Islam-based sex (ergo legal) with someone (our significant other e.g. man) when it's not reproductive at all? I know that birth controls are not encouraged (or some people even say that it's forbidden to use such devices) but what if we can't help but not want to have kids. Well, I think that I still don't know if I actually want to not have kids, but I want my parents to have grandchildren, so well, I still have this 60/40. Anyway, is it possible for us to have sex with our legal SO when it's not reproductive at all? What are your views in this case? Maksudku... aku gak bisa aja gitu liat someone innocent to be corrupted in this evil world. I just... I don't know... I want to talk to someone about this... haha maafin.

How are you btw?

chop said...

Aww Dil, I'm beyond flattered that you'd want to talk about it with me :') Makasih ya udah nyempet baca juga.

I personally don't want kids myself, but my reason is way colder and pragmatic, hehe. But I totes get where it came from. I know that even though I said (guessed) that sex in Islam are meant to be reproductive, I don't think it's prohibited to choose not to reproduce. With that saying, I don't think birth controls/contraceptions are banned in religion either despite some that states so.

Scientific manipulation is used years for human's advantage: if you're using a medicine to keep your body alive, is that defying God's will? How is that different than you using contraception (or whatever method) to avoid reproduction? Based on that logic, no. I really think it's ok for people to choose to not have kids and have sex anyway.

I mean, marriage can meant as an institution to preserve species and perpetuate values in a way, but most of the time people do it because more than anything, it gives people a secure bond of companionship. And you can't blame people from wanting or caring about that more than "preserve and perpetuate" whatnots, haha.

Generally though, I think it's fair to choose to do or not do anything as long as it's done with a proper or thorough contemplation: given that you've considered what's at stake or what's worth what, anything should be ok :) Aku orang yang sangat percaya kalo making your own meaning out of life adalah hal yang nggak dilarang sama agama.

So yeah, totally possible (if you ask me)! I personally encourage it. Speaking in a broader sense, the world is already crowded anyway, natural resources are only so much to last for a time, no need to make it even more crowded :v Even if you do (decided to have a child), at least plan/control it! (Or consider adoption?)

And I'm pretty great :v Planning to get a medical check up (just in case) and anything else in life... still figuring things out, but not that I'm in a hurry! Hbu? Hope things are going great!

Nadilla Soenardhi said...

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier!
I was super busy with everything that's been going on around me this past couple of month. And you are welcome!

Hahaha I understand. The topic of wanting kids (perhaps more like lack thereof?) has been circulating around my thoughts for some times and I have relayed this notion to my friends but none of them has been as accepting as you are (even though, as you said, you don’t want kids for pragmatic reasons). My friends are all realistic, like me, in a way, but perhaps they still want to raise kids even though they’ve seen the damage that humankind can cause to each other, themselves, or to the Earth especially, due to the constant exposure of negative news and us being IR students.

And we are only talking hypothetically here since I don’t think anyone would want to actually procreate with me. Ha. Talk about pessimist. Twenty and never been in love—Gosh they should make reality shows like this. Hahaha.

Yeah… I totally agree with everything you said! If we could use science for the greater good (e.g not to reproduce), why not. And as you said, the world is dying with the unequal ratio of people to available resources. I personally think by choosing not to have kids would probably be the best decision I could make. Ever. It would benefit the Earth for not having another creature roam around. I’m the kind of person that believe the role of humankind on Earth is to be gentle with it. I confess I’m not as extreme as tree hugger :D but I don’t actually think that exhausting Earth’s resource and not being able to give anything back to it is the best way to live.

Plus, I suppose the embodiment of the love that I share with my S.O. is not a good enough reason to bring a kid to this world, especially that love could change in matter of years. Even if my parents have good relationship with one another and they have never had any rough patch that would change my world completely, but I don’t think such things could happen to everyone, you know? Who’s to say that I’d experience the same things like my parents? And I’m not the kind of person that would take a chance to be with someone just because I fell in love with them, or at least doing it thoughtlessly.

There are plenty of reasons as to why I don’t want to have kids. Love and the Earth being the main reason for it. I think I’m going to blog about this topic :)

Adoption is another thing that came in mind when I thought about this. Since love and attachment to my biological (and hypothetical) children is two of the main reasons why I don’t want them, I suppose it would be the same if I adopt some kids. There are plenty ways that I'd probably do to help children without having to adopt them (e.g support the orphanage financially or work at NGOs).

I’m feeling pretty crazy because I’m still baffled at the thought of graduating so soon. I’m busy with my Skripsi lately, planning on graduating February next year. How was the medical check up? What are you busy doing lately?

Hope you have amazing weekend!

chop said...

Welp, don't be! Just like you I was pretty preoccupied with the things going for me for the past month too (still going, even. Hence the lateness of this reply!)

I understand what you meant about the SO thing :) I guess I am too, a person who isn't very optimistic with the notion of love (except for my OTPs their love is everlasting ok).

Though with kids, one of my theory to why people want having kids other than the (subconscious?) desire to pass on their genes is that human have this capacity or tendency to "create", "raise", "produce" things (like, inventing or "making novelties" are one of the most important things that differs human and other living creatures in general) to which the easiest one is to, well, reproduce (cuz not all of us has this gift or sense of creativity to "create" other things like idk robots or Apple products or concept of pyramids?). And by "creating" I meant the shaping, the nurturing, the way you brought this kid until it grew into a wholesome creature with everything it learns in between. For some people, the output of that particular creation of theirs (that kid), is what they most proud of. For some others, that's the only thing that they can be proud of. (Some don't tho).

But yeah, that's like one out of few child-having theories I have in my sleeve so pretty sure can be argued one way or another.

WHEW! Good luck on your skripsi :v

sciosa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sciosa said...

Wah yang ini semacem tugas kelas 10 ver. 2.0 ya ran hahaha nice!