Sunday, November 17, 2013

That's Selfish!

Halo!

Ah, it's been more or less a month since my previous post. I used to post stuff once a day, then once a week, now one in a month. I don't know if it's the lack of time, or maybe just the lack of stuffs that I can share. It's a given that our younger self thought that a lot of things--including thoughts and ideas--are fascinating, since most of those are probably their firsts... things that are "worthy" to post on their blog. Things they want to remember.

Ahem, anyway!

Something come to my mind recently. I've always been selfish. I've always been ignorant too, but mostly selfish. I do things I want to do and say what I want to say. People around me allow me to. And those who matters love me anyway. So I did. (I am spoiled like that)

These days I can't be too selfish on doing stuffs because there are things that I bound to do because it's an obligation or a job or something that I committed to do or there are others who are involved and depend on it too. So I do them even if I don't really like them, but that's not because I'm not selfish--because it's my responsibility.

But what I really want to point here is that I think being selfish is not bad. In fact, I expect people to be selfish. I expect them to only care about themselves and their loved ones. I mean, there are times that you're not doing things for your own benefits because there are things that you value more--like "giving things to people in need or people you care about" or maybe things like friendship or love or religion or concept of tolerance or other basic principle. But isn't keeping those values count as selfish too?

The thing is, I think people have the right to be selfish. More than that, to some extent I think that for whatever reason, every human action is naturally selfish. I don't think one can be blamed for putting themselves before anyone. Everyone is born different so as an individual with independent mind, heart, and body, of course they need to think of themselves--stand for their ideas, protect their principle, do what's important for them--before others. But that doesn't give them the right to be mean. That doesn't give them the right to cheat or steal or do whatever-things-evil.

That doesn't give anyone the right--the justification--to violate others' freedom. Or well being. Or stuffs. Or their whatevers.

Just because what others' have or do or want are in the way or contradict your personal interest, that doesn't mean that it justifies you taking it away from them as you're just being "selfish". No. That's you being mean. Being selfish means that everything you do or say or think based on or revolves around you and your interest and your principle and whatnots. Being selfish doesn't mean you can do or say or think everything because it's based on or revolves around you and your interest and your anything. That's just terrible.

In short, don't ever feel bad if you're selfish. Selfish is normal. Just like being angry. Angry is normal. But even if you're selfish--even if you're angry or pissed or feeling unreasonably annoyed beyond belief--you don't have the right to do stuffs that hurt other people. You don't have the right to be mean.

No one has the right to be mean!

So don't be mean. Don't be evil.

"To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others." 
— Albert Camus

No comments: